You could be eligible for benefits that help you buy healthful food.
Many people who are working or have other household income are eligible for the LONE STAR CARD.
See if you may be eligible*:
|Household Size|| Gross Monthly Income Limit
(before taxes and other deductions)
*Income guidelines are valid through September 30, 2014.
Over 3.5 million Texans use the LONE STAR CARD to buy groceries when their finances become uncertain.
They all have different reasons for using the Lone Star Card. Many are employed, some have lost their jobs, and some are living on small, fixed incomes.
Other eligibility requirements:
Click on the links below to learn more about each category.
An immigrant is eligible to apply for SNAP benefits if he/she…
- has been in the United States as a legal resident for five years.
- is under 18.
- has earned, or can be credited with, 40 quarters of work history.
- is a refugee or asylee.
- is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, a veteran, or a dependent of a service member or veteran.
NOTE: A child born in the United States or a legal immigrant child is eligible for SNAP even if he/she is in a family where other members of the household are not eligible.
You can still apply for benefits on behalf of any dependents if you have a drug-related felony conviction after August 1996.
To be eligible for benefits, the following asset limits apply.
- $2,000 in countable resources (cash, bank account, stocks/bonds, additional properties, etc.) for most households.
- $3,250 for a household with an elderly person (age 60 or older) or disabled person.
- Most households, however, can qualify for benefits if they have less than $5,000 in countable resources.
- Texas will exempt the fair market value of one vehicle (sometimes two for a two-parent family) up to $15,000. All other vehicles will be subject to the federal SNAP rules with the excess value of vehicles counted toward a $5,000 resource limit.
- A household’s home does not count as a resource.
Every case is unique. A private interview with an outreach coordinator will determine your eligibility. Call 1-855-FOOD-401 to find out if you might be eligible for SNAP benefits.
For more detailed eligibility information, click here.